I re-wrote IBM DataPower Certification test 284 over the weekend and passed with a 75% when requiring a 60%. Taking the course made my life a lot easier. I still spent two hours writing and reviewing the answers but I was a lot more confident about passing when I ended the test.
I did notice that there is a bug in the Prometrics Windows based client (non web-browser) that you need to be aware of. One of the questions deals with “Which of the XMLs is invalid”, and the answers use xmlns to define namespaces. The problem is that the URLs follow the http:// format and the windows client is turning them into blue-underlined hyperlinks while removing the surrounding quotes. This will make three of the answers appear as invalid XML.
I have emailed the only person in IBM who I know is deeply involved in the certification organization and I hope IBM will either update the question or fix the windows client bug.
The other weird thing about the windows client was that I didn’t see an option to provide feedback directly when ending the test but not yet getting the score. I took a notes about questions that I really disliked and wanted to provide feedback on but I didn’t have the opportunity. The ‘paper’ I was given to record my notes on when writing the test was an erasable surface that had to be returned at the end.
Anyway, the test was pretty much the same one that I had written previously except that the hard questions were first which freaked me out a bit 🙂